Selection and Ordering
Teachers are initially responsible for the following:
- Meeting with Sales Representatives and choosing textbooks
- Giving textbook lists to the coordinator who enters them into the system
- Ensuring that adoptions are submitted to the Bookstore by deadlines
Important Information to Consider
- Indicate in the Note field (or email your textbook buyer directly) if you are ordering a package that includes a digital component (Access Code, Wiley Plus, Connect, MyLab, Lyryx, Mindlink, etc.) and if you require its use in your course.
- Email a list of additional supplies, uniforms, kits, lab coats, lab books, calculators, iclickers separately to your textbook buyer and/or Grace Sham (email@example.com), so they can be ordered on time and be available for students.
- Custom books and packages have a limited return policy (10-35% depending on the publisher). Non-returnable stock will be charged-back to the program when it is no longer in use.
- All Learning Packages , selected for adoption each term, must be submitted to James Yochem, Copyright Coordinator with a completed Learning Package Request Form for review, before they are printed.
- Submitted ISBNs will be verified to ensure the edition has not changed. The most up-to-date ISBNs will be ordered - unless specified by faculty.
- Accessible educational materials are the right of every student. AERO (Alternative Education Resources for Ontario) is a secure web-based repository of textbooks for Ontario schools. It creates accessible and alternate format books on request. When you select your textbooks, ask the publisher if they share accessible versions of their textbooks with AERO. If they say yes, you can be assured that Conestoga will be able to provide an accessible book to anyone with a print disability in your classroom.
A more detailed description of this process is available in the Faculty Guide (pdf).
How do I get a desk copy of a textbook?
The publishers require that you contact them directly either through your program's departmental clerk or by email. Please include the following information when requesting a desk copy:
- Title, Author, Publisher, Edition, ISBN*
- Your name, college extension and email address
- The course name and estimated enrolment
- The title of the text currently being used, if different from the one being requested
*Note: The ISBN is extremely important. It identifies the various formats available including both hard and soft cover. It also identifies Canadian, American and International versions of the same text. There may also be a difference in the way numeric data is presented in each version, (metric vs. imperial). The ISBN will also be specific depending on the package, just the text alone compared to a package that includes a study guide, CDs or additional resources.
|Publisher||Contact Name||Contact Info|
|Carswell Publishing||Jason Bartscher||Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|CCH Canadian Limited||Ken Brakel||Email: email@example.com|
|CCI Learning Solutions Inc.||Jill Folk||Phone: 866-459-9949
|Elsevier Canada||Erin Carlson||Phone: 905-925-6225
|EMC Paradigm Publishing||Jennifer MacDougall||Phone: 905-881-8739
|Emond Montgomery||Rosalind Wright||Phone: 647-242-8010
|ERPI (Pearson Longman)||Rita Leithead||Phone: 800-263-3678 x330
|Jones and Bartlett Learning||Robert Rosenitsch||Email: RRosenitsch@jblearning.com|
|F.A. Davis Company||Micheal Funke||Phone: 800-235-7538 ext. 7701
|John Wiley & Sons||Katherine D'Angelo||Phone: 647-459-3215
|Lexis Nexis (Butterworths)
||Paula Sloss||Phone: 416-200-6640
|Lippincott Williams & Wilkins||Kimberly Tyson||Phone: 204-955-6787
|MacMillan Publishing||Jordan Barker||
|McGraw-Hill Ryerson||Tyler J. Kapshey
Learning Solutions Consultant
|Phone: 877-961-4747 ext. 4007
|Nelson Canada||Herman Westermann-Duncan
|Phone: 800-668-0671 ext. 321
(Math, Science, Geography/Earth Science, Computer Science, Health, Nursing, Nutrition, Trades)
(Social Sciences, Humanities, Languages, Communications/Media Studies)
|Elliott Borins (ECE, ESL, Education)||Phone: 647-629-2673
|Oxford University Press||Taylor Iwaniuk||Phone: 289-527-3186
|Jim Baron (E/LT Consultant)||Phone: 416-476-7445
|Pearson Education Canada||Kyle Monotiuk
(Applied Arts and Technology)
(Business, Health Science & Community)
|Felicia Moore||Phone: 647-469-1481
|Redleaf Press||Bob Trattner||Fax: 416-736-1702